Home

DCM TimeWindow foam speaker repair

I had been looking for a set of DCM TimeWindows for some time and recently found a set. Not the best price or condition, the foam speaker grill was ok on one speaker but the other speaker was badily damaged. Because I had been looking for a set so long I decided to go ahead and buy them and just recover them later. Have to say I really did not mind how they looked after listening to them. So fast forward a few months and seeing as how they speakers are not going anywhere soon I decided it was time to recover them.

I ordered the foam I needed from the Foam Factory.com, http://www.thefoamfactory.com/opencellfoam/filter.html I used 1/4" filter foam and 30 PPI which cost $16.99. This was a very close match for the original foam except that the new foam is gray and the old foam was pitch black. At first I thought I would leave it gray but luckily I decided I would paint the foam. I used just regular black satin paint by Krylon. I was afraid the paint might crack and flake when bending or mvoing the foam but I had no such problem. I applied like 3 coats of paint. Really glad I went ahead and painted the foam, I think that pitch black foam looks great.

A few lessons I learned. The foam is stretched around the speaker and then nailed in the back using regular finishing nails and plastic trim. I measured and cut the foam to fit from top to bottom and left a little extra for wrapping the foam around and I planned to just cut off the excess. What I did not take into consideration was that when I stretched the foam the height would shrink by about 1/2". So this resulted in a slight gap at the top and bottom of the speaker where it meets the wood caps. While it is not perfect I decided it was not worth it to do it again. So learn from my mitake.

The other thing I would have done differently was before remvoing the old grill I would have take a couple of finishing nails or maybe just used panters tape and made a line where the plastic ribs went to secure the foam. No big deal, it is in the rear but I wanted the ribs straight and they move around a little when stretching the foam. Naturally the first one with no tension is easy to get it the way you want it but the second it is a bit of a pain when trying tos tretch the foam and get the rib straight.
I had glued the the rib to the foam and then nailed into place.

Another thing to check for is the black sealant they used between the wood caps and the spaker cabinet. Several places the sealant had begin to brake off. I simply used black RTV and went over the bad areas again.

Here are a few picks of the finished speakers.

I removed the old foam

the wood tops were not that bad so I just lightly sanded them and reoiled them with a Danish oil.


The plastic ribs that hold the foam in place

Here is a picture of the black foam compared the original gray

Done

Back in service again

©2014 Coremont.com All trademarks are property of their respective owners